Friday 9 December 2022

Based on analysis alone, we can easily demonstrate that the idea of intrinsic existence is both illusory and misleading.

For example, we use the concepts of "I" and "myself" as reference points to communicate with others, but the truth is that we are unable to identify a concrete and substantial self. If the physical body is this self, does losing weight mean this self is diminished and "I" am no longer "I"? And if so, where is the other part of the self supposed to go? Nobody would think like this. After losing weight, we do not doubt our individual identity, and we will even believe that our self has improved. If we perceive ourselves as the same person regardless of changes in our physical shape, this self must be changeable. A changeable thing will not last, and it transforms constantly with external and internal changes. This leaves no room for an intrinsic and concrete "I." Thus the perception of the physical body as a stable "I" is only a delusion.

-- Khenpo Sherab Zangpo Rinpoche



No comments:

Post a Comment