Saturday 4 July 2020

Having meditated on love and compassion, I forgot the difference between myself and others. 
Having meditated on my teacher, I forgot those who are influential and powerful.
Having meditated on the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, I forgot the coarse world of the senses. 
Having meditated on the instruction of the oral tradition, I forgot the books of dialectics.
Having meditated on the joys of solitude, I forgot the need to please my relatives and friends. 
Having assimilated the teaching in the stream of my consciousness, I forgot to engage in doctrinal polemics. 
Having lived in simplicity of body and mind, I forgot the disdain and arrogance of the great.
Having made a monastery within this body, I forgot the monastery of bricks and mortar.
Having embraced the spirit rather than the letter, I forgot how to play with words.

-- Milarepa

No comments:

Post a Comment